Welcome to Our World-Building blog


Welcome! We weave dreams, some dark, some not, but all fantastic.

We are authors of Fantasy, Romance, and much more. Enter our infinite worlds....

On this blog, our visitors will find advice and opinion from published authors on much more than just world-building. We'll tell you in Craft and Opinion posts what we do, how we do it, and what we think works for us.

Authors with A-names post on the 1st of each month, B-names post on the 2nd, C-names on the 3rd etc.
The 29th, 30th, and 31st are free-for-all days.




Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Addicted to reading?

I am addicted to reading, can never find enough SF/F books, and I have nightmares about waking up in a world where no books are available. My other problem is a limited amount of time free to browse bookstores.

With limited time to browse, an eBook reader has been the answer for me. Here’s why. I go on the various on-line sites and lo and behold, in their eBook listings they allow customers to download samples free. So I find my favorite genre (fantasy, duh) and then go through the lists of authors I haven’t read before and download samples. These are usually the first few pages of a book, enough to get an idea of content and style.

At my leisure I can read through the samples. What happens to me then is exactly what happens when I browse a bookstore’s shelves. Out of every dozen samples, I find a couple books that grab me. So then I buy the eBook on-line.

Sure, I buy 3 or 4 print books every month. Those are books from favorite authors and usually I have been waiting anxiously for their next book. My only complaint about the easy ebook availability is that I am now adding more favorite authors to my list and I am going to have to cut back on other addictions, like eating and paying taxes.

Phoebe Matthews
, Mudflat series
Share/Bookmark

No comments: